Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Day Program Update

Woo Hoo! The Day Program “interview” consisted of Robert signing documents promising he won’t hit or bite (no problem there) or that he won’t be excessively tardy or absent (now, if I could only get my step-son to agree to that last rule these last few months of high school!). It appears that Robert has been accepted and his Day Program start date may be as early as Monday. (Nothing is confirmed yet so I will believe it when I see it). I have offered to drive him to and from Program until a van transport can be arranged but haven’t heard back yet on this offer. I don’t want a transportation snafu to delay getting Robert into the Day Program.

Robert needs some activities! He was falling asleep so much while signing his name, I made him stand up and told him to “move your booty” to get the blood flowing. (He didn’t move his booty but he did put his hands in the air and move them around). It woke him up long enough to get the documents signed but he never admitted to being tired (oh, Robert, you and your terrible self-reporting!).

Of course, things started out a little hectic. I arrived to Robert’s New Home to find him in the bathroom sitting in a shower chair at the sink in a puddle of water (it was definitely water – I smelled it) and his jeans partially soaked (I didn’t smell those but will think the best and assume it was water too). After drying the floor and replacing an entire roll of soaking wet paper towels (smelled them – it was water), I left him to finish shaving.

I tried to be as helpful as possible to get Robert to move along since we had a 9:00 a.m. appointment. He managed to finish shaving and brushing his teeth with time for us to play a game of cards (he won – typical). As I anxiously checked the time every couple of minutes, I was told the woman who was supposed to be attending with us was taking a sick day today. New House Manager with the Reassuring Voice would be going with us instead. That’s fine but we’re going to be late because she’s not even at the New Home yet. I decided that I would take Robert and meet New House Manager at the interview. (We still were 15 minutes late.) Neither one of us had any paperwork and we had no idea who we were meeting (the woman who was sick had all that) but, once at the interview location, we found who we were supposed to meet with and I was able to fax over the missing paperwork later in the afternoon.

It was messy but it got done and Robert may be going to a Day Program starting Monday! It’s not confirmed or definite (which is what I prefer) but I’ll take it.

Now let’s hope they play Bingo at Day Program so Robert will stay awake and I won’t have to tell him to shake his booty!

No comments: